Have you experienced the painful ending of a long-term relationship? Do you feel misunderstood, confused, guilty or even shamed by well intentioned friends or family who ask “why were you with him so long without being married anyway?” or who may suggest that you should just “get over it, move on and be grateful that he is no longer in your life?”
Those experiencing a breakup often experience pain similar to that related to divorce or the loss of someone to death but receive far less support. There is a grieving process that is involved with the loss of a long-term relationship and it can be complex as it involves the loss of future possibilities & dreams of getting married, having children, and sharing life together in other ways, too.
Therapy can help you heal & rebuild after breakup by:
- Helping you process difficult, confusing emotions and develop healthy coping strategies to begin your personal healing journey
- Supporting you in coping with the various stages of grieving related to breakup
- Assisting you in finding clarity on why your relationship did not work
- Helping you identify and change unhealthy, negative patterns of behavior that make you vulnerable to unhealthy relationships
- Avoiding the on-again-off-again cycle of toxic relationships
- Learning how to set boundaries and assertively communicate your needs and expectations
- Helping you regain confidence, self-trust and the ability to experience a full, joyful live regardless of your relationship status
- Supporting you in transitioning into dating and/or a new relationship with greater awareness, the ability to cope with anxiety, negative feelings/emotions from your past that may be triggered as you begin dating, and equip you with the skills needed to enjoy a healthy, happy relationship.